ALM Custom Test Type Developer Guide
Deployment: Administrator's Rights with Side-by-Side Support

To set up to download your custom test type files to the clients:

1. Copy the test type files (the class and controls files you created) into the Extensions\MyTestType directory. Put all of the files in the single, flat directory: Do not place files in subdirectories under Extensions\MyTestType.

2. Change the extension of *.exe files to *.xxx. For other file types, reverse the letters in the files' extensions—for example, change *.dll to *.lld, *.ocx to *.xco, and so forth.

3. Digitally sign the files. See Signing Files with Digital Signature.

4. Create an "ini" file that lists the application files (EXE, DLL, OCX) and gives the locations. If you are adding to an existing set, unpack the CAB described below and edit the existing "ini" file.

Add a section for each of the files you placed in the Extensions directory. These are the files to be downloaded to client machines.

The format of the section is:

[File_000x]
    URLName=<URLName>
    Shortname=<shortname>
    Description=<description>
    Register=Y
    RegisterIsolated = Y
    ProgID=<progID>

See "Example of ini File for Side-by-Side Installation".

5. Create a manifest for the custom test type files by running the ALM Manifest Maker on the INI file. The ALM Manifest Maker is found in the Utilities\ALMManifestMaker directory on the installation disk.

Before running ALMManifestMaker, make sure that:

• mt.exe and sn.exe are in the system path.
    • The input directory contains the files without reversed extension. That is, "dll", not "lld"; "ocx", not "xco", and so on.
    • The ini file has a Register=Y line for each DLL and OCX.
    • The path in the command starts with the drive letter.

Example of command line:

ALMManifestMaker.exe -in:C:\myTestType\bin -setup:"C:\myTestType\MyTestType.ini"
    -temp:c:\temp -target:C:\myTestType\myTestType.manifest

6. Create a CAB file containing the manifest file, using the cabarc utility. Use the syntax:
    cabarc -s 6144 n my_test_type.manifest.cab my_test_type.manifest

7. Calculate the MD5 Checksum of the application manifest. See Calculating the MD5 Checksum. Add a section to the INI file for the manifest.

8. [Manifest_000x]
    ShortName=my_test_type.manifest

Add a file section for the manifest itself.

[File_000x]
    Register=N
    Extract=Y
    URLName=<=%URL%/myTestType/my_test_type.manifest.cab
    Shortname=my_test_type.manifest.cab
    Description=my test type manifest cab
    CheckMD5=(the MD5 of the manifest file)

9. Create a CAB file containing the INI file, using the cabarc utility. Use the syntax:
    cabarc -s 6144 n my_test_type.cab my_test_type.ini

10. Digitally sign the two CAB files. See "Digital Signatures "
  11. The contents of the Extensions directory at the end of this procedure are:
    • A directory under Extensions containing your custom class and control files with the extensions changed as explained above (MyTestType folder).
    • The CAB file containing the manifest.
    • The CAB file containing the ini file that specifies files to download.